We love reading at Whitings Hill!!!!!
We are a POWER OF READING SCHOOL !!!
The Power of Reading is a school development project which engages teachers and children in the literacy curriculum through using high quality books and proven teaching approaches.
The Power of Reading is about teaching Literacy through using high quality books and creative teaching approaches (such as art and drama).
• This approach aims to engage and motivate children in their literacy learning.
• It also enables children to deepen their understanding of texts and provides a meaningful context for writing.
How are the texts used?
• A quality text will be used as the basis for learning over several weeks.
• Children will explore and discuss the text through creative activities.
• They will also write in a range of genres as part of the unit. For example they might write a letter in role as a character or write a newspaper recount about the events in the text.
Reading aloud – A key approach with all the books Reading aloud is a key part of the Power of Reading. The strategy enables all children to access quality texts. Reading aloud also enables the teacher to model expressive and fluent reading to the children. Children then echo what they have heard read aloud in their own writing.
How you can support at home?
• Reading aloud is a key strategy for developing children’s enthusiasm of reading.
• Hearing quality texts read aloud also impacts on the quality of children’s writing as they can ‘echo’ what they have heard. Reading aloud to your child is therefore a key way to support at home.
• When you have read a text together you can use tell me questions to discuss it together. This helps to develop children’s level of comprehension.
What our children say about reading at Whitings Hill
Angel - Year 3
"I enjoy reading because we have very interesting books at school. They are important because they give me ideas for when I am writing stories. I like our Power of reading books because they are and have good illustrations."
Teodora - Year 3
"I enjoy reading at Whitings Hill because it is fun and there are interesting stories. I love Stowaway Ghosts because I like scary stories. There is a boy called Sam, who meets a ghost and Sam starts to teach the ghost how to walk through trees.
Our Power of Reading text is The Tin Forest, it is about a lonely old man, who has no friends. So he builds a tin forest so animals come and live there and he isn't lonely anymore."
Amaya - Year 4
" I love reading because it helps you with vocabulary. I like the books we have at Whitings Hill and we have an amazing library. I love Roald Dahl because I love adventure.
For The Power or Reading we are doing 'The Promise'. I like the bit where the girl plants the acorns everywhere and the trees start to grow and make people happy. Trees are also good for the environment."
Once again we at the start of an exciting new academic year at
We would like to continue our focus on reading for pleasure. We have lots of exciting reading activities coming up during the year:
Parents will be invited to come into school to read on certain Tuesday afternoons (check your calendar)
‘Bedtime Stories’ will be taking place towards Christmas for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
The Book Fayre will be here during the second part of this term
World Book Day on Thursday 5th March – children will be able to dress up as a book character
Our spooky and festive reader challenges will be on again this year – are you ready?
Reading workshops for Parents and Carers in the New Year to help guide parents through making rich reading experiences for your child/children